Men and women can both struggle with hair loss and thinning hair. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and microneedling are newer methods that have been shown to prevent additional hair loss, stimulate the growth of stronger, healthier hair, and increase the number of hairs on the scalp. Dr. Thompson recommends an initial consultation at his Denver, CO office.
One of the most widely known causes of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia (AGA), an inherited sensitivity to androgens. Still, there are various other causes of hair loss, including autoimmune diseases, nutritional deficiencies, and stress. Many patients use oral medications and topical therapies to prevent and slow additional hair loss in the early stages. These hair loss therapies can be effective, but downsides include reversible and irreversible medication side effects and the requirement for continued, daily use to retain the benefits.
With PRP, cells from your own blood are separated and reinjected into the scalp to help hair growth. This is accomplished through the body’s healing mechanisms through the activation of various growth factors.
What is PRP For Hair Restoration?
Your own blood can be used to generate PRP, a substance that can help promote new the growth of your hair.
The process begins with a small blood sample from the patient, which is then processed in a lab to separate out the platelets and other components. These platelets are then injected or applied topically after microneedling into the scalp, where they interact with the hair follicles and activate various growth factors.
PRP is a great hair treatment for many issues, not just hair restoration. When combined with our other options, it can help you maintain healthier hair.
What kind of results can I expect from PRP Hair Restoration?
Patients can expect to see a thicker head of hair with PRP Hair Restoration. The procedure helps to promote new hair growth and prevent additional hair loss. With regular treatments, patients can expect to see an increase in their overall number of hairs as well as an improvement in the quality of their existing hair. Additionally, PRP Hair Restoration can help reduce inflammation and improve circulation in the scalp, leading to healthier blood cells that are better able to nourish your head of hair.
Advantages of PRP Hair Treatment
The benefits of using PRP to promote healthier, thicker hair include:
- PRP is harvested from your own body, so there is no chance of an adverse reaction
- PRP promotes natural healing, helping to strengthen blood flow and cell growth in the treatment areas
- PRP helps existing hair follicles to strengthen and grow
- Non-invasive treatment
- No downtime involved
- IIt has very few side effects.
- As opposed to daily use, this therapy for hair restoration requires only a series of one-time treatments with benefits that can last up to two years.
Risks Associated with PRP
- PRP is a relatively new hair treatment and its long-term effects are still unknown.
- There is a risk of infection if the injection site is not properly sterilized.
- The procedure can be painful, depending on the patient’s pain tolerance.
- There may be some swelling or bruising at the injection site.
- The results of PRP treatments depend on a variety of factors, so there is no guarantee that they will work the same for everyone.
PRP For Hair Loss Candidates
PRP treatment is suitable for most people who are experiencing hair loss. It is especially beneficial for those with androgenic alopecia, which is the most common type of hair loss. PRP can also treat other types of hair loss such as alopecia areata, scarring alopecia, and telogen effluvium. However, it may not be suitable for those with certain medical conditions or who take certain medications. It is important to consult a doctor before undergoing any kind of treatment for hair loss.
Recovery Time From PRP For Hair Loss
The recovery time from PRP for hair loss varies depending on the individual and the severity of their hair loss. Generally, patients can expect to see results within a few weeks after the initial treatment. The full effects of PRP may take up to six months to become visible, as it takes time for new hair growth to appear. During this period, patients should avoid any activities that could cause further damage to their scalp or interfere with the healing process.
It is important to follow all post-treatment instructions provided by your doctor in order to ensure optimal results. This includes avoiding direct sunlight, using a mild shampoo and conditioner, and avoiding any strenuous activity that could cause further damage or irritation. Additionally, it is important to keep up with regular treatments in order to maintain the results achieved with PRP therapy. With proper care and maintenance, patients can enjoy healthier hair for many years after undergoing PRP treatment for hair loss in Denver, CO.
Why Choose Dr. Thompson
- Obtained his medical degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- Completed his head and neck surgical repair training at LSU Health Sciences Center
- Trained under the guidance of Dr. Frederick Stucker, world-renowned rhinoplasty surgeon and past president of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- The AAFPRS accepted Dr. Will Thompson as one of 49 surgeons to receive a sponsored Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship.
- Dr. Thompson completed his fellowship with Dr. Stephen Smith at Smith Facial Plastics and The Ohio State University
- Board Certified by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
To see results, patients typically require at least three serial treatments spaced approximately four weeks apart.
Insurance does not cover the procedure at this time.
Topical numbing medication will be used during the procedure to minimize discomfort. The treatment will not leave scars. There may be some redness and minor bleeding, but these tend to resolve quickly.
Like other procedures, the risks include lack of treatment response, mild discomfort, crusting, and infection.
Patients can minimize risks by being honest about any potential health concerns and closely following their surgeon’s pre and post-operative instructions.
If you live near Denver, CO, Thompson Facial Plastics offers Platelet Rich Plasma for Hair Loss among its services, and is conveniently located at 3150 E. 3rd Ave Ste. 200 Denver, CO 80206
READY TO GET STARTED?
If you’re in Denver and have an interest in a treatment plan about PRP for Hair Loss, call us at (303) 667-1474 or fill out our online form today to schedule an initial consultation. Dr. Thompson will be happy to meet and answer any questions that you may have about PRP to trigger the natural regeneration of hair follicles. We look forward to hearing from you!
READY TO GET STARTED?
We invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Thompson
Kybella is a treatment used for the removal of unwanted fat under the chin. It is a non-surgical alternative to liposuction.
Facelift surgery is excellent for men and women who want to reduce signs of aging to look more youthful and refreshed.
Skin cancer removal has become a significant problem for many Americans, particularly those with a history of increased sun exposure.