Otoplasty is a type of facial plastic surgery that fixes prominent ears, protruding ears, or abnormally shaped ears. It is a relatively minor procedure but can yield dramatic results to transform a patient’s quality of life and self-esteem. The surgery can be performed on adults and children alike. In children, the operation is usually performed by the age of five to avoid the possible negative impact of teasing. Facial plastic surgeon Dr. Thompson often performs otoplasty in Denver, CO.
In older children and adults, the procedure can be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia in the office. Younger children often require general anesthetic to decrease anxiety and ensure cooperation during the procedure. The most common technique utilizes an incision in a concealed location behind the ear. This is where sutures will be placed to hold the ear cartilage in its new, permanent location, to get the ears closer to the head. The goal of this cosmetic surgery is to reposition or reshape the ear into a more natural position.
Recovery from Otoplasty
The Otoplasty procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. Patients go home the same day and can resume near-normal activity. Due to the risk of injury or disrupting the sutures as the ear heals, patients are counseled to avoid exertional physical activity for the first two weeks after the surgery and contact sports for the first one to two months. There is usually very little pain or discomfort, but if present can be controlled with over the counter pain medications. A dressing will be placed immediately after surgery and removed during the patient’s follow up visit.
Why Choose Dr. Thompson
- Obtained his medical degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- Completed his head and neck surgical repair training at LSU Health Sciences Center
- Trained under the guidance of Dr. Frederick Stucker, world-renowned rhinoplasty surgeon and past president of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- The AAFPRS accepted Dr. Will Thompson as one of 49 surgeons to receive a sponsored Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship.
- Dr. Thompson completed his fellowship with Dr. Stephen Smith at Smith Facial Plastics and The Ohio State University
- Board Certified by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Faqs about Otoplasty Surgery
If you live near Denver, CO, Thompson Facial Plastics offers Otoplasty among its services, and is conveniently located at 3150 E. 3rd Ave Ste. 200 Denver, CO 80206
Schedule Your Otoplasty Consultation in Denver Today
Dr. Thompson in Denver, CO, is a facial plastic surgeon who specializes in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the head and neck. If you are interested in scheduling a personal consultation with Dr. Thompson to discuss the benefits of an ear pinning procedure, please call (303) 667-1474 today!
READY TO GET STARTED?
We invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Thompson
Kybella is a treatment used for the removal of unwanted fat under the chin. It is a non-surgical alternative to liposuction.
Facelift surgery is excellent for men and women who want to reduce signs of aging to look more youthful and refreshed.
Skin cancer removal has become a significant problem for many Americans, particularly those with a history of increased sun exposure.